Old November 4th 03, 06:08 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:17:15 -0500, "D Reid" wrote:

You cant increase your speed by 20%...but you CAN DECREASE your useful load
by about 12% (if I have my numbers right). Fir is a little heavier than
Spruce.

I just finished a new battery box for my Fly Baby. Actually TWO battery
boxes, after the first one (made of oak) got laughed out of my EAA chapter.

(Hey, I do a bit of non-aviation carpentry. I *love* working with oak!)

FWIW, the poplar one weighed 1.25 pounds. The nearly-identical oak one
weighed a half-pound more... a 40% weight penalty.

Ron Wanttaja