View Single Post
Old February 2nd 18, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default criuse or climb mode?

Just wondering how many out there keep their vario's in climb mode while cruising. I have spoken with one pilot that likes is audio while cruising to be the climb vario audio and the STF is just graphical on the dial.

I noticed my flying has evolved, perhaps due to the new airfoils, or maybe I am just lazy with old age. Years ago in my previous iteration of soaring, when I was flying an ASW-24 or Nimbus 4, I tended to dolphin, especially with the N4 or N4D. I would both pull and push hard, going through the flaps on the N4's. Years later now and I am flying a modern 18 meter bird, I tend to hold a steady inter-thermal speed and only stop to climb. Sure I make use to energy lines, but I am not pushing and pulling in lift or sink anymore. I usually fly between 90-110 kts inter thermal. In very good lift, I might slow to 85-90 kts, but no slower. Wondering if someone much brighter than I ,i.e., almost anyone, could speak about how both the inter-thermal techniques have changed and how we need to change the information we get from our computers to adjust to this different technique. Or perhaps the techniques haven't changed and it took me 20 years to figure out the correct way.

Jon