Old November 17th 19, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default FS: 302 & 303

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 9:49:23 AM UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 8:08:17 AM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
T8
Can you leave the temp probe disconnected on a 302 and have the 302 function OK?
What symptom would indicate a failing probe?
TIA

302 works fine without probe. It doesn't work *at all* with a malfunctioning probe, or a probe that is partially disconnected. That phone jack connector was a really *dumb* idea.

T8

Years ago I had the experience when powered up a 302 with the temp probe disconnected that the instrument took a very long time to power up. Multiple minutes instead of a few seconds. I had visions of a dead instrument.

This was during a winter-time DG instrument panel rework. The DG's panel pod was easily removed (loved the ability to do that) BUT the temp probe had to remain in the fuselage. Somewhere in RAS-land someone alerted me to this false-negative. FMMV.

- John