Old December 17th 15, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Garmin GPS 20A with Trig TT22 in Experimental Glider - OK?

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 11:23:00 AM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Why is it that the GPS from Flarm unit cannot be used? That seems perfect as we would get more Flarms in gliders and obviously they are accurate.

I believe because the GPS is not "TSO'd", meaning nobody has spent a ton of money getting it approved.
It may be even better (in performance & features) than an approved unit, it just does not have "the little stamp" that is a FAA blessing.

Along the lines of, "Speed is money, how fast do you want to go?", the FAA version is, "Legal is money, how legal do you want to be?".

I know there is a voltage regulator for our Super Cub that comes from a ~50's vintage Chevy for ~$40, the "FAA approved part" is a few hundred.
But it has the "little stamp".