Old August 8th 04, 04:21 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
John Keeney wrote:

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
ignore him as if he were a troll or loon
(he's neither),

?---------------?
as he clearly craves attention.

Guy, the parenthetical aside is a tad counter intuitive
in combination with that final clause.

And yet I believe it to be accurate; you don't have to consider someone
to fall in either of those categories to decide that similar treatment
is the most appropriate response. Art is often a PITA but he isn't
incoherent like say zzbunker, nor does he rave about black
helicopters. He's grounded in reality (a highly self-centered reality
to be sure, and one that I often find ludicrous), and IMO he isn't
posting just to stir things up. In short, he may be obnoxious and
crave attention (as we all do to one degree or another), but he's not
crazy or an agent provocateur.

Have you missed his posts on the political front??! And you can say with a
straight face he does not post "just to stir things up"?

IMO the most appropriate response for
all three conditions is the same. Assuming that the intent of his many
opponents is to get him to change his behavior or beliefs, it's clear
and has been for years that their current approach is wholly
ineffective -- YVMD.

No, the intent of some of us is to remind those that leap to kiss his butt,
and any newbies about, that Art (a) can't be trusted to supply accurate
information *even* about his own very specific area of familiarization, (b)
is wildly inaccurate when it comes to WWII in general, (c) is NO model for
"The Great Vet", given his propensity to denigrate the efforts and service
of others who served alongside him and those that followed, and (d) lacks
the integrity and courage to ever admit, "Oops, I was wrong about that" (see
his refusal to admit that the Guard had been mobilized in toto long before
he ever entered the service). It may keep some poor new soul from falling
into the trap of thinking Art can be trusted (like I did, loooong ago).

Of course, if all they wish to do is exchange childish insults with him
to see who'll give up first, it's a different matter, but most of them
strike me as being capable of more maturity than that. I just wish
that more of them would exercise that maturity, and a reminder of the
adage about mud wrestling with a pig will hopefully help them do so.
I'm tired of having to delete numerous off-topic threads that should be
taken to more appropriate forums or private email if they insist on
continuing them, but I realize that I have no more or less right than
anyone else to use usenet as I see fit. Since dictatorship isn't an
option I'm hoping a rational argument will work. As I know the
internet but can still hold out such hope, that may be all the evidence
anyone needs that I'm the biggest loon here.

There is where you differ from Art--he decries the OT posting in one breath,
then starts a new OT thread with his next post.

Brooks

Guy