Old January 21st 05, 12:59 AM
John Alger

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:41:47 -0000, "José Herculano"
wrote:

Daring you to tell the audience how did you end up with your callsign....

Nothing glorious - I was tagged "Spartan" because I was from Michigan
(as were about 6 other of my fellow VT-24 instructors). Not because I
went to school at Mich. St. as I attended Embry-Riddle in Daytona
Beach. I had recently graduated as a student from the same squadron
and the senior instructors asked my what callsign I would use. I had
told them I liked "Eagle" as I had 20-15 vision, but another
instructor already used that - two were not allowed I was informed. So
they settled on "Spartan". Guess it was all they could come up with -
had not done anything colorful enough to warrant one of those
callsigns everyone forever wants to know what you did to earn it. :-)

We had a marine in the squadron who ran marathons and had about -5%
body fat. He was known as "Cadaver". Another Marine was known as
"Brillo" due to his hair.

J W Alger USNR(ret) 1310/1325
TA-4J, A-7E, EC-130Q, P-3B