Old May 28th 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig[_2_]

Default $6.61 at MDW eeeek!

Jay Honeck explained :
This fuel may be kill GA. It costing 300 plus now to put gas in the
Bonanza. My buddy parked his Barron. He says it just not fun knowing how
much it costing to fly.

Strangely, this weekend our ramp was FULL of light twins. Haven't seen any
of those things flying since gas hit $4.50/gallon, but I guess the holiday
weekend brought 'em out of mothballs. Most of the twins at our airport
haven't moved since last fall.

We paid over $300 to top the tanks in Atlas (our Cherokee Pathfinder) in
March (in St. Louis) -- and it really made us stop and think. That's mostly
what made us start looking for a smaller "fun" plane -- which we just bought
yesterday (with two other partners). It's a '48 Ercoupe, and it'll sip
mogas at about 4.8 gph,

Huh?

Of all people, I would have thought you would grasp this concept of
reduced gas/oil usage and its reasons and consequences.

1) People react and don't think through the entire costs of aircraft
use and ownership
2) Gas is a percentage but not a staggering pecentage of aircraft usage
3) When people react somewhat mindlessly (ahem, what did that fillup
cost you before, $250?), they pull back on usages.
4) Your twin-engine planes were out for fun, this is the first pull
back phase.
5) Many people are slightly to waaaaaay in over their haeads with plane
ownership to begin, the increase in much of anything shoots them into
loan default, minimized usage or quitting all together.

How many people do you know that will drive 1, 2, 10 extra miles to
"save" 10 cents a gallon?