Old August 14th 04, 10:12 AM
Presidente Alcazar

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:43:35 GMT, Guy Alcala
wrote:

Nothing amazing about it - Americans are seldom portayed in a
subordinate role in another nation's war effort. If they're
portrayed, they are required to play a more substantial institutional
or leadership role. A film showing the heroism of Americans as
components of an RAF unit, almost indistinguishably from Canadians,
does not fit the presumptive requirements.

Shame, though, as there were plenty of Americans serving in
Commonwealth forces outside the Eagle Squadrons, and they could do
with some celebration as much as anyone else.

We did get a nice supporting part in "A Piece of Cake,', but then that WAS a British
production.

Take a close look at the American character in the original book;
that's a part which looks specifically crafted to hit all the buttons
I've described above, just like any other hackneyed Hollywood script.

At that point I have to say I chucked the book away. It's got to the
point where the understandable nationalist bias of Hollywood has
become unquestioningly dominant in other media which cringingly look
over their shoulders as potential Hollywood movie scripts, and as a
consequence no portrayal of Americans can be made which violates the
basic premises of American exceptionalism.

Gavin Bailey

--

Apply three phase AC 415V direct to MB. This work real good. How you know, you
ask? Simple, chip get real HOT. System not work, but no can tell from this.