Old October 25th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess[_4_]

Default Airliner crew flies 150 miles past airport

"D Ramapriya" wrote in message
On Oct 24, 8:35 pm, "Aluckyguess" wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message

I have a hard time texting over 13k feet.
they fell asleep. Im surprised this doesnt happen more often with small
aircraft. You engage that auto-pilot and its just so relaxing. Turn on the
xm tilt your head back and life is good, no one to bother you ask you for
things no you know what your daughter did or can you fix this or that.
Nope,
just smooth flying across a beautiful country.

I'm sure the specifics will emerge over time but I find it a bit
curious that there's no mention about even a possibility that the
A320's nav system may have experienced a glitch.

I stand to be corrected but on most pilots, the entire flight path is
entered into the FMS even before pushback, with amendments made along
the way as and when required by the ATC in respect of flight levels
and runway destination. I'd once been in the flight deck of an A320
and saw that the craft reached TOD and commenced descent uncommanded
and since on that flight there were no changes in the descent profile,
it virtually flew itself until the ILS was detected whereupon the
pilots kind of flew it manually.

You may recall that even the fated 737 Helios of a few years ago
reached Athens and kept flying a holding pattern until the fuel ran
out despite all on board having died much before then.

It beggars belief that an A320 could've flown on 100 miles past the
destination airport!

Ramapriya

The radios, did they fail and then start working again. The gps the pilots
should be tracking there position. Time they would of noted one heck of a
head wind.
Its common for pilots to take cat naps, just not at the same time. I
maintain they fell asleep. I hope im wrong for the pilots sake.