Old September 7th 18, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default Vario Comparison

This has turned into a very interesting thread. It looks like we may be using some newer much better varios in the near future.
Another interesting aspect is Mike Borgelt describing the AOA change and the possible cause of low level, low speed [ in the pattern] accidents.
When were up high cruising at 80-100 knots we fly into 10 knots up all the time and pull hard to slow down and get ready to circle. Up high at speed this is no problem. Down low and slow at say 60 knots that 10 knot thermal you just hit may cause a major problem. I think we may be flying way to slow in the pattern. Looking at the stall/spin rates, in all parts of the arrival pattern, I might be right.
I like using the Knauff idea of having a longer higher final leg, and as my max flap extension speed in my LS3a is 86 knots, I try to keep it over 70 knots the whole way to the deck, works for me. This may sound fast and it is. I don't want to stall close to the ground by some rouge air or a booming thermal.
This fast in the pattern stuff was taught to me by Bob Faris CFIG
So far so good!