Old March 18th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bret Ludwig

Default 700lbs?

On Feb 26, 2:58 pm, "oilsardine" wrote:
"wesleymarceaux" schrieb im ...
.... I think a good 1835 vw engine with reduction can do

anything the rotax 912 ul can do. .....

no, can't do. The 912's heads are water-cooled - you know?

With blower cooling and enough reduction gearing the VW would put out
80 hp. The pushrod 356 Porsche engines (a Type I mutant with stiffer
three piece crankcase) were a very honest 90 hp at less displacement
and the Porsche heads did not breathe as well as some of the current
aftermarket ones.

Still, if you want that bad of a museum piece why not buy a Lycoming
and get it over with?