Old June 21st 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation,rec.aviation.student

Default I passed the checkride, now need a good GPS and passenger headset

YIPPEE! I'm now a private pilot!

Now I need an aviation GPS ....

No, Joe, you do not "need" a GPS.

At the risk of sounding like an old curmudgeon, let me suggest that
what you now have is permission to practice flying. What you REALLY
need is a great deal of practice reading an aeronautical chart so that
you can find your way on the day that expensive GPS you want to buy
craps out and you're up there all alone with no idea where the hell
you are. (And you're about to blunder into a area where the F-16s will
come looking for you.)

If you can't navigate with depending on a GPS, you're an aeronautical
cripple.

vince norris