Old June 9th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Raphael Warshaw

Default ClearNav too big?

On Jun 9, 1:03*pm, brianDG303 wrote:
I think the ClearNav designers may have missed the mark a bit, I'm

How old did you say you were???

Ray Warshaw
1LK

trying to figure out why they made the thing so big. In flying with a
PDA I have often wanted the screen to be brighter, but never bigger;
the other option I would pay for is to have the PDA controls on the
stick. I fly a DG and I think the DG panel is pretty standard across
their line. A scale drawing can be downloaded from their site which I
did, then I sized up to full scale and imported it into a CAD system.
After drafting a ClearNav screen and the other instruments I was able
to slide them around, trying to find a configuration that would work.
In a DG panel I just couldn't get it to work. I think in the long run
these devices need to be designed with at least one dimension (height
or width) compatible with traditional gear (80mm!). I suspect that
there was an available screen that was pressed into service and drove
the size.