Old February 22nd 05, 09:36 AM
Roger

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:42:36 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I've noticed a lot of aircraft are designed to use washout at the tips
to control stall behaviour. The idea as it was explained was that they
wanted the inboard part of the wing to stall before the outboard part
so aileron authority could be maintained a little longer.

I've also seen mention of stall strips being installed inboard to try
to affect the same thing.

Constant cord (Hershey Bar) wings need no twist, or stall strips, as they
stall naturally on the inboard section, with the tips remaining flying to
the end. They are not as efficient at high speeds as elliptical or tapered
wings, but that is seldom the mission of planes that have constant cord
wings.

The old "Hershey Bar Wing" Cherokees are the only planes I've flow
that I could put into a stall, keep it in the stall, and still make
turns using the ailerons. Many airplanes don't like that and in
particular the Bo series of planes are likely to roll over with which
ever wing you try to raise going down instead. It's amazing how fast
they can put the greasy side up.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com