Old February 22nd 05, 01:52 PM

Bill,
Could you advise a source where one could find info on "aerodynamic"
twist? As I understand it, newer designs like the Lancair Legacy do not
have a geometric twist but use different airfoils and taper to provide
the twist. Thanks
Tom
-------
Bill Daniels wrote:
Wing twist, whether geometric or aerodynamic via a change in airfoil
spanwise is designed in. Stall strips are added later if the

original
design proves to have unacceptable stall characteristics.

Stall strips hurt performance and should be avoided if at all

possible. You
NEVER see stall strips on a sailplane. Careful selection of outboard

wing
sections can produce very sweet stall behavior.

Twist, is usually an aerodynamic benefit across the whole speed

range. It
helps maintain an elliptical spanwise distribution of lift.

Bill Daniels

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've noticed a lot of aircraft are designed to use washout at the

tips
to control stall behaviour. The idea as it was explained was that

they
wanted the inboard part of the wing to stall before the outboard

part
so aileron authority could be maintained a little longer.

I've also seen mention of stall strips being installed inboard to

try
to affect the same thing.

It seems to me that trying to impart a twist of only a few degrees

into
a structure that large, and have it maintain that twist under load

and
over time (as opposed to jigged on a bench) is a fairly hard thing

do correctly.

Also, with the washout, aren't you in effect constantly flying

around
with the whole wing at a non-optimal AOA since each part of the

wing is
slightly different AOA as you move out on the span?

Since airfoils are a trade off, among other things, of lift, drag,

and
range of AOA, wouldn't it be better to extend the stall strip

approach
to just having a progressive (or piece wise) airfoil cross section

with
a sharper leading edge in-board moving out to a smooth rounded

leading
edge near the tips (and ailerons)? So you have a lower drag,

reduced
AOA range inboard, and higher drag albiet wider range AOA outboard.
And have no twist in the wing.

Discuss