Old May 20th 16, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FAA Eases ADS-B STC Requirement

Ramy, let me couch my comments in a larger context.

This ideology that everyone needs to install the latest and greatest in 'safety' devices can be compared to concepts like; everyone should fly higher performance ship cause landing out is bad for the sport, you might **** off some farmer or get the county sheriff stirred up thinking theres been an airplane crash. Or another; 'dont ever thermal below 1000ft agl cause your risking spinning it in'. Or; 'why stretch a glide late in the day risking landing away from an airport'. I could go on with many more 'chicken little' examples.
Note this, a vast majority of those who hold these kind of views are the very folks that think a busy year of flying is 50 hours. These are the folks that fly birds all over 35/1 and never venture away from home beyond gliding distance or only go out on a booming day when even a tin can could make 100 miles. These are the very folks who are so distracted trying to sort out their electronics in the cockpit that they dont look outside to see whats going on around them.These are the very folks I try to stay way away from when in the air.

A slow year for me is 500 hours of high performance taildragger time flying 15 ft above the ground carrying ridiculously high wing loadings with 3000 lbs of product in the hopper. A slow year is 200 hours in my sailplane dang near all xc with dozens of outlandings. I regularly thermal below 1000ft, I regularly land out, I regularly stretch my glides for max distance at the end of a day. I have owned and flow high performance sailplanes but I prefer to fly a little spam can which barely makes 23/1 . This in many peoples minds is ridiculous. But to me it is a challenge, and an expression of flying freedom. I chaff when that freedom is curtailed by more and more regulations and burdomsome gadgets under the umbrella of 'safety'. These ney sayers who hardly ever do squat in their high dollar birds but want to dictate the future of our sport do not, in my opinion represent what we are all about.