Old May 20th 16, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default FAA Eases ADS-B STC Requirement

Just goes to show that there's too much to know unless you're employed
in the industry as you appear to be.

Since I don't often fly with other gliders, I don't much care about
PowerFlarm. I want to see and be seen by airlines and GA aircraft. I
imagine that, if the PF equipped aircraft also have a transponder, I'll
see them too, with ADS-B In. Am I wrong?

On 5/20/2016 10:44 AM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I'm not sure why you deciding to have UAT Out has anything to do with flying near Class B airspace. (the big technology thing there is just having a transponder at all for TCAS compatibility, so you are set).

But choice of ADS-B Out link does have everything to do with flying in areas with other gliders and painting on their PowerFLARM. You don't want to be visible to PowerFLARM 1090ES In?

If you already have a Trig TT-22 I expect you will find more affordable GPS options in future, or if TABS regulations happen then I hope TABS options using the TT-22. A transponder and separate UAT system and maybe separate GPS you have more avionics to power.

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 8:10:53 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Agreed.

I'm currently researching ADS-B Out options for my Stemme. And
though I have a Trig TT22 transponder already installed, the
1090ES options seem quite expensive. I'm starting to lean towards
978UAS as my solution since I don't intend to fly above FL180 or
anywhere near Class B airspace. Still much digging to do and even
after finding what works for me, I'll still keep my head on a
swivel (as I learned in the AF).

Dan

On 5/19/2016 9:57 PM, Ramy wrote:

Thanks Dan
I also agree with most of it, which basically says we should make our won decision what is acceptable risk. Totally agree with this part.
But after thousands of cross country hours I concluded that no matter how hard we try, we can't trust our eyes to detect a collision risk on time when cruising, especially not gliders who are practically invisible. Sure we see all kind of traffic, but not the ones on collision curse especially if not on our 12 and not maneuvering. And it's not just me, it's everyone with human eyes. There are many eye opening tests that confirm this. While see and avoid certainly works while thermaling, formation flying and in traffic pattern, it does not work when cruising. The reason why we don't have more midairs are not thanks to see and avoid but thanks to the big sky theory. I read somewhere that if we all flew blind folded, the collision rate would have not increased by much. I believe this is true. That's why we need as much help as we can get in this department, and if it is going to be mandated, I don't see a problem with that, as long as it is effordable.

Ramy

--

Dan, 5J

--