Old February 26th 08, 09:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Beryl[_2_]

Default Pazmany PL4

cavelamb himself wrote:

Beryl wrote:

wrote:

On Feb 25, 10:58 pm, flybynightkarmarepair wrote:

I've since heard from Veeduber (who knew Pazmany, and flew out of the
same airport as the prototype) that you could smell the first ship
before you could see it, as it burned, errr flew off the first 40
hours with the belts constantly slipping.

Well... mebbe it wasn't quite that bad... :-) But with multiple vee
belts it's impossible to keep ALL of them at the same tension. The
loosest of them would slip and there was a definite pong of hot rubber
after every flight.

Eh? I can't visualize it. Either all, or none, slip.

Nope. That's not how it works, Beryl.

Oh, maybe if all the belts really were teh exact same size.
Or if the pulleys were really exactly parallel.

In the real world neither of thoese little details ever work out - quite
that exactly.

The biggest one slips.

How can you tell which is the biggest one?
Easy.
It's the one that slips!

As tehy say, YMMV...

Richard

My mileage varies. I tink teh biggest belt is just along for teh ride.
And in teh real world, even teh tightiest belt slips if you're talking
about microscopically wobbling pulleys.