Old June 1st 05, 08:46 PM
Paul Lynch

Not exactly accurate. RVSM airspace is used in the North Atlantic Airspace
which is designated on appropriate charts. You can go outside the coastal
ADIZ, be in international airspace, but not RVSM airspace. The Pacific does
have RVSM in some areas (desiganted on the charts), but they are much more
tolerant of waiver requests. There is no chance for a waiver in the
Atlantic, except in an emergency, and even then it is likely to be denied
because of the "congestion."

In Europe, we have had our aircraft which were not RVSM equiped and above
FL430 and were were required to descend to below the RVSM airspace. After
official complaints, the offending country's ATC apologized for the required
descent.

wrote in message ...

Jose wrote:

But, if you are not RVSM compliant, you can't even climb or descend
through the RVSM altitudes unless ATC gives you a dispensation.

... or you go out over the Pacific ocean. Or is this global?

No, and probably never will be. But, RVSM went into effect over the
North Atlantic oceanic airspace before it migtrated to the U.S.

So far as I know, it hasn't migrated to the busier Pacific Ocean
airspace, but I am sure it will. The routes between LAX, SFO, PDX, and
SEA, could can some relief with RVSM.