Old April 2nd 05, 06:19 PM
Matt Whiting

Dudley Henriques wrote:
As an American CFI specializing in both primary flight instruction and at
the other end of the spectrum; advanced aerobatic instruction all through my
career in aviation, naturally this issue is well known to me. I've dealt
with it with pilots, instructor seminars, with American aviation
manufacturers and with the FAA here in the states.

{snip}

Summation on this issue in my opinion is that there is no substitute for
hands on experience in the unusual attitude environment and I can truthfully
say that in my over 50 years of dealing with these issues I have never met a
single pilot.....not ONE single pilot, who wasn't a better BASIC pilot after
having taken unusual attitude and spin training. This to me says it all. You
can be safe............or you can be safer!!! Think about it!!
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot; CFI; Retired

Yes, typical government approach of throwing the baby out with the bath
water. The problem wasn't spin training per se, it was instructors not
proficient in how to conduct spin training. So, rather than address
that root problem, the Feds simply removed the requirement and
discouraged the practice entirely.

I certainly agree that learning to avoid stalls is essential training,
but the reality is that inadvertant stalls still happen and pilots
aren't properly training to handle them. I'd have much rather seen the
FAA focus on developing proper spin training procedures and instructor
training.

Matt