Old July 20th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

Default Testing the Testing of Mogas

"Peter Duniho" wrote
If
you test it with Alka-Seltzer, now you've contaminated your fuel with an
Alka-Seltzer tablet. At the very least, you've a fuel-soaked tablet you
need to dispose of, and I'm not sure that the fuel is usable at that

point,
ethanol or not. Just because the tablet didn't fizz, that doesn't mean
there aren't bits of it in the fuel.

I would take an alka seltzer tablet, break it up and mix it in some fuel as
good as you can, and try it in your lawn mower. I'll bet that it wouldn't
miss a beat. If an engine can take that, surely a funnel with a filter
screen will catch all the significant chunks.

As far as the dud soaked alka seltzer tablet goes, Jay needs to soak one in
pure gas, and see if it will still alert on alcohol a few days later. If it
does, all he has to do is keep a small jar around to keep the soaked tablet
in, to use for the next purchase.
--
Jim in NC