Old December 23rd 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

Default Cleared for the ILS 16 or circle to land 34 question?

On 12/22/06 21:11, A Lieberma wrote:
"Jim Carter" wrote in news:001701c7262a$f464b0f0
$4b01a8c0@omnibook6100:

Al,
Since your question seems to be more about the mechanics of the
process than the clearance terminology, my approach has always been to
circle such that I can keep a visual on the landing zone. That

typically
means a left circle regardless of what the published traffic pattern
might be.

Since circle to land is published for a fixed altitude, I am
assured of obstacle clearance no matter which direction I turn. I just
prefer to keep the old Mk1 eyeball on the target throughout the
approach.

Circle to land at minimums is a very exciting end to a journey
and usually reminds me exactly how small my bladder happens to be. I
need all the advantage I can get so the left turns help out.

Thanks Jim!

Yes, when it's a long trip, anything to shorten the approach phase is
always appreciated when "nature calls" *big smile*.

I am used to circle to approach landings at my own airport, just never
had one for opposite ends of the runway

The circle to land is required anytime the landing runway is more than
a set number of degrees from the approach course (I can't remember the
exact number of degrees - maybe 10 or 30?). Obviously, the runway opposite
to the approach course would qualify ;-)

Allen

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA