Old December 23rd 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

Default Cleared for the ILS 16 or circle to land 34 question?

In article ,
Jose wrote:

You either terminate with a missed approach or a landing. The missed
approach doesn't include a 'circle to land'.

A clearance for a missed doesn't include a clearance for a circle, but
one can certainly go missed after circling.

Jose

Just to be clear about this...

Let's say the airport is using 34, and you're cleared by approach control
for the ILS-16 circle to 34 in VFR conditions as a practice approach. It
would be a very poor idea indeed for you to execute the circling maneuver,
do a low approach, then decide to execute the published missed on your own.
This would have you swimming upstream against the traffic on final for 34.

If that's what you really want to do, make sure you verify your intentions
with the tower. If there's no conflicting traffic, they should be able to
let you do it, but that would be unusual. When I'm with a student,
negotiating these sorts of things with ATC is part of my job.