Old June 2nd 14, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim[_10_]

Default Actual Rope Break

when was the release mechanism last and most recently overhauled or
replaced?
especially on old gliders teh release mechanisms were designed for the very
old and obsolete old welded
Tost double tow rings. (see the warning on Wings & Wheels website
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page30.htm and also on TOST website) when the
current tow rings are used on these obsolete tow releases teh rings will not
completely seat in the tow release so you are always left with a partially
opened release waiting for the evental premature release...
tim

A0
"Kevin Christner" wrote in message
I had my first "rope break" ever today. I was approximately 200-250ft above
the ground. Emergency procedures were not a problem.

The Tost released for some reason. Its a nose hook so the back release
mechanism could not have been the culprit. Further testing with the wheel
break on the ground revealed no problems so I took another tow and had no
problems. The ring may not have been engaged properly (doubtful) or the
slack I got in the rope was just too much when it tightened back up
(probable but the release still should have held).

In any case has anyone else ever experienced an actual emergency unplanned
release? In 14 years of flying I have never heard of one. Good thing we do
practice this.

2C