Old September 15th 18, 09:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tinted canopies

A good quality clear canopy already filters out a lot of UV and a blue tinted one not much more, in any at all. They are blue to filter out some of the infra-red end of the spectrum.

Several years ago in response to a similar ras thread a friend and I in a Dul compared looking out of a blue canopy versus looking out through the clear view with and without various sunglasses and we found that the tint made no discernible difference to how things looked through the sunglasses. Also, and counter-intuitively, we thought cloud definition was better looking through the canopy than through the clear view panel.

Photographs taken through the canopy had a definite slight bluish tinge.