Old February 12th 05, 05:06 AM
Geoffrey Sinclair

Schlomo Lipchitz wrote in message ...
I have an unidentified photo of an airbase ramp with about 100 plus
P-47s on the ramp. The P-47s are olive drab with no large white
numbers on the nose. Any idea where this could be? Where were the
P-47 transition units or replacement traning units during the war?
The base is flat as a pancake and I will be happy to email the photo
to anyone who thinks he can help.

Olive drab paint means the photograph was probably made in
1942 or 1943, what do the USAAF national markings look like?

There were only 138 P-47s made in 1941, and it took until January
1943 before there were 100 P-47s in England, July 1943 for the
South Pacific, November 1943 for Italy, February 1944 for the
Central Pacific and March 1944 for India.

No numbers on the aircraft would indicate just manufactured or
at least at some USAAF depot. Once the aircraft were with
a unit they were given unit markings.

There were formal P-47 training units in the US and England at
least, most theatres would have some unit to enable new fighter
pilots to be checked out before going to a unit and to also learn
the local tactics and conditions.

Flat as a pancake implies it is in the US.

So short of being able to read the serial numbers on the individual
aircraft or identify a landmark the most probable locations are the
Republic factories at Farmingdale New York or Evansville Indiana,
or one of the USAAF depots the aircraft were flown to from the
factories.

Geoffrey Sinclair
Remove the nb for email.