Old March 14th 07, 05:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default Problems in a commercial flight

On 2007-03-13 16:08:34 -0700, megaMAX
said:

Hello everybody,
I want to tell you what's happened during a Finnair flight from
Helsinki to Milan, I'm not an expert of flight.

During the entire flight, I noticed that the aircraft was continuosly
rolling to right, and the pilot was correcting every 10-20 seconds the
attitude. I noticed this, because I was looking to the right wing and
the wing was continuosly going down of few centimeters, and after few
seconds there was a slight correction.

Not unusual at all. It could just be normal cycling of the autopilot.

During landing, the aircraft was definitively rolling clockwise, in
fact when we touched the ground, it was really yawing and sliding, and
the pilot had to take a decise correction in order to align the
aircraft to the track.

This is also normal in a crosswind landing. The wind is blowing from
the direction that the wing is down. Since the pilot does not want to
land too much sideways, he will kick the plane around so it points
straight down the runway just before touchdown.

I'm really not an expert, but I was wondering:

- what could have been the problem? The right engine?
- the pilot behaved correctly, completing the flight until destination
and trying this landing? An intermediate step could have been better?
- we have been in some danger, during the flight or at the moment of
landing?
- this episodes are made pubblic in some register, or the companies
try to hide them as much as possible?

Minor problems with the airplane are recorded in the airplane's
logbooks. In the US, accidents are recorded in the NTSB database. Not
all countries maintain such a database, however.

Thanks!
Max

--
Waddling Eagle