Old September 11th 11, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc

Default Position Recorders allowed the US for Silver badges?

On Sep 11, 6:58*am, Papa3 wrote:
Leaving aside the issue of creating a valid task: * There is as of now only one GPS Position
Recorder approved by the SSA for Badge attempts, and that is FlyWithCE. * I know that we
posted this information last year, but I too can't find it on the SSA Website, sorry. * We'll get
that fixed. * As others have mentioned, you still need to carry a "traditional" Barograph
recording pressure-based readings. * As it stands, there have been no claims using this
method in the US to date and very few in several other active gliding countries, largely due
to the complexities introduced in having to manage two separate devices. *

Just a minor point of clarification, IGC rules permit approval of
"position recorders" which have integral pressure altitude recording
capability, and therefore can be used without a separate barograph.
For example, some FLARM devices are not IGC approved flight recorders,
and have been approved by various countries as combined position
recorders and barographs...

Marc