Old November 23rd 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_5_]

Default Dumb GPS Question

On Nov 22, 8:45 pm, "William Bruce" wrote:
I've just bought a TomTom GPS for my car with preloaded road maps of the US
and Canada. My question: Will it work in my 172 at 3,000 to 5,000 feet,
showing the roads below, etc?

It will, but a better way to use it is to zoom out to show your
position in relation to towns, cities and geographic features - in
other words, Situational Awareness. A terrestrial GPS is a good
backup, but one with an aviation database is vastly more useful for
flying (IMHO).

David Johnson