Old November 25th 07, 10:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_1_]

Default Dumb GPS Question

On Nov 23, 9:37 am, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
In a previous article, "William Bruce" said:

I've just bought a TomTom GPS for my car with preloaded road maps of the US
and Canada. My question: Will it work in my 172 at 3,000 to 5,000 feet,
showing the roads below, etc?

There was a time when Garmin GPSes meant for terrestrial use would cut out
at around 100mph, which limited their usefulness for aviation. But that
was a long time ago. It's doubtful that TomTom did that same stupid
thing.

There is an on-line book athttp://www.cockpitgps.com/that has some
information about using non-aviation GPS in aviation.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
I wouldn't be surprised if I'd have to put garlic in the CD drawer

Garmin doesnt do that anymore . . . . I have seen over 700 kts on my
Garmin . . . once in a United 737, it must have been a mother of a
tailwind. This is back several years ago when some airlines were ok
with GPS in the cabin.

Take care . . .

John