Old November 7th 05, 10:04 PM
Maule Driver

Default Garmin 396 Glitch - major update

Well, they didn't fix my 396. The problem reoccurred with a vengence on
Saturday while driving. Stupidly, we were entirely dependent on it for
directions. The thing must have failed over a half dozen times.

Problem symptom: The unit would just shut down without warning. It
would not start up without removing the battery, waiting a few seconds,
re-inserting and restarting.

History: I called Garmin. They suggested loading the most recent SW.
When the problem re-occurred, we collaborated on the phone then they
told me to just send it in.

The 'Repair Summary' indicated that 1) the main processor was making
poor contact with CPU board - resoldered processor, 2) replacement of
GX30 Sat attenna.

Upon return, the problem reoccured.

I called Garmin. The technician noted that the one thing that hadn't
been done yet was to 'reset' the unit. A certain combination of buttons
and presto - reset. Why didn't we just do that in the first place? No
idea. Why isn't it documented in the manual? No idea.

Problem hasn't reoccurred yet. Seems fixed.

Question is, "Why didn't Garmin Support have me reset it in the first
place?". A deficient problem determination process perhaps? Less than
well trained support staff? I don't know but the fact that a simple
procedure was available that *may* have fixed it ****es me off. And
cost me $$$ and time.

Whatever. It cost me shipping and a week or so without the unit. For
no good reason other than some SW flakiness combined with lackluster
support. Fantastic machine nonetheless.