Old March 14th 04, 04:22 PM
Peter Gottlieb

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

We are in a religious war. We didn't choose it, but we've got it.

Really? Maybe we should take "separation of church and state" more
seriously here and break that link. Say what you will about these people
attacking us, but they are not stupid and they see the strong Christian
leaning of the US government administration.

Yes, I blame them for these cowardly acts, and no, I do not think they have
any justification for their barbaric acts against innocents, which is
against even their own religion. But let's be realistic here - anybody who
doesn't see the Bush administration, with its "faith-based" initiatives and
connection to the very right wing Church as crossing the line toward making
the US a Christian country must be fairly blind or strongly believe that
this direction is the Right Thing To Do.

There are Islamist extremists who see it very much as a religious war. They
twist their religion's desire for "justice" to justify their acts. But the
way we respond, and the very nature of our government, affects how Muslims
see us and impacts very directly on the extremist's support structure and
thus whether this war winds down or grows.