Old October 14th 05, 11:27 PM
CW Crane

John A. Landry wrote:

On 14 Oct 2005 10:07:34 -0700, in rec.aviation.homebuilt,
said:

But this doesn't address Mr. Landry's issue of "standard" vs "special"
certificates.

Neal,

I guess I made my post because I was looking for supporting or consenting
opinions from the group as to whether I can to a correct conclusion in trying
to interpret the FAR's.

of course I realize each FAA FSDO or MIDO would have their own interpretation
(don't they always)?

Best regards,

John L.

John,

There is NO minimum equipment list in the FARs for an experimental category
aircraft, no interpretation is necessary.

The equipment requirement (and it only applies to other than day VFR) is spelled
out in the Operating Limitations for the aircraft. From my freshly issued
Operating Limitations:

" 8. After completion of Phase 1 flight testing, unless appropriately equipped
for night and/or instrument flight in accordance ?91.205, this aircraft is to be
operated under VFR day only."

So while there is no minimum list, the Operating Limitations placed on the
aircraft at the time of airworthiness certificate issuance dictates the
equipment and instrumentation needed for other than day VFR.

If you are still not convinced, call your MIDO or FSDO and get them to tell you
where to find the boilerplate they use when issuing Operating Limitations. It
is in one of the ACs but I don't remember the exact number.

CW