Old June 24th 04, 10:46 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Ed Rasimus
writes
On 24 Jun 2004 14:17:03 GMT, (ArtKramr) wrote:
Do you have more than three Purple Hearts and a Silver Star?

Actually, Art, you shouldn't be using Purple Hearts as a measure of
valor. They demonstrate either bad luck, or if garnered in groups, a
level of combat incompetence.

I'd call them good luck myself, but then my (limited) experience was
infantry where *we* were the targets. (This isn't meant to denigrate
groups like armour and aviation: just because the enemy is targeting
your platform rather than you personally; doesn't make you safer,
because the overmatch in weapons involved and for aircraft the problem
of a long fall to follow, tends to produce much more an "escaped unhurt
/ killed with no chute" dichotomy)

I've got an SSM and five DFC's, but no PH. I'd rather win than lose.
I'd rather America prevail than the Islamic fundamentalists. I'd
rather retain national sovereignty than subject us to the whims of the
UN. I'd rather carry my own weapon and defend myself. I'd rather
individual responsibility than a welfare state. I'd rather keep my
earnings and make my own spending choices. I'd like higher standards
rather than affirmative action.

Any questions?

Yes, but they're quibbles rather than arguments. I'd argue details of
many of those statements while agreeing with them overall.

--
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
Julius Caesar I:2