Old November 24th 18, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Default SGS 1-23

The tactic I have used in the past, on a couple of aileron recover and paint jobs, and our club did on our Grob 103, and is going to do on our ls-3 refinish....

We do all the prep...stripping, sanding, recovering...sealing, prime and build coats...contour sanding, everything but the final top coats . This is because anything up to that point can be easily fixed if it is not correct..

For the final top coat of Polyurethane...we take the parts to a professional car paint guy...with a spray booth...great spray guns...and years of experience...

Painters like to paint...they hate prep work. So if we do all the "grunt work" (as in labor intensive)...the spray guy is happy to just do what he likes best...to spray top coat. They are fast too ...and our guy is very reasonable in price...because we did all the heavy labor...he just sprays and lets dry!

yes and amateur "can" get good results..but you also can make a lot of mistakes.

IMHO even the mediocre "pro" painter is better than the best amateur!

Cookie