Old August 21st 03, 05:20 PM
BUFF

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
In article , Bill
Clark wrote:

snip

I think you mis-understand what is going on. There are a number
of different versions of the JFS. There is one for the US Air
Force, a variant for the US-Navy, and a 3rd variant for the
Marines. In addition, foriegn powers are starting to sign onto
the program. For example, the UK has agreed to pick up the Air
Force variant.

Just a little clarification - the UK is actually a development partner
having funded something like 25% of the programme so far as well as having
design input (both RR & BAE have a lot of experience in the field).
My understanding was that we had announced selection of the STOVL (similar
to Marine) verion as our Harrier replacement.

Additional countries such as the Netherlands, Italy, Denmark, Canada,
Norway, Australia and Turkey are all signing up to the programme.