Old February 10th 04, 03:30 AM
Fred the Red Shirt

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...
"
As a disinterested (ie I have no time for either of them) foreign
observer I find this whole squabble rather amusing

IRC Clinton never actually claimed to have burnt his draft
card he just went to University in the UK and kinda forgot
he was supposed to join the army, musta been that marijuana
he didnt inhale

I once read a detailed description of exactly how he got out of
both service in Vietnam AND National Guard duty in the US without
a deferment, being ruled out for health reasons, or consientious
objector status. Then I read it again. The process was sufficiently
convoluted that it made my head hurt.

Anyhow, WJ Clinton is not President, one might as well criticize
Grover Cleveland for hiring someone to replace him after he was
drafted.

GW Bush is Presient. I do not care to defend any of the three.

2) AFAIK, Clinton has denied nothing you alleged above.

3) I am not convinced that Bush was AWOL, it appears that at worse
he was left without orders to appear anywhere in particular for
about a year. Certainly a far cry from volunteering for combat
duty however.

In fact he was apparently in the national guard reserve at the time
and this was the period after he had volunteered and been
turned down for active service.

Huh? I never heard anyone claim that GWB volunteered for active duty.
Also, in the US the National Guard and the Reserves are different
outfits, though in the last 15 years or so the National Guard have
been called to active duty more than any time since WWII I think.

During the Vietnam War, National Guard troops stayed in the US
and were only activated for natural disasters and riot control.

Given the aircraft he trained
on was being phased out and the war was winding down I
kind of doubt he was the only one who did less than the
optimum with regard to service.

My guess is that he was such a crappy pilot his commander in TX
was glad to see him quit flying befor he screwed his aircraft
into the ground.

But the documents posted online indicate that his commander in TX
gave him verbal permission to transfer to an AL unit in advance
of written orders. After that transfer was officially denied,
it appears no one ordered him back to duty in TX. And no one
noticed for about 14 months at which time GWB asked for an
early discharge. Which he got.

Maybe he did some duty somewhere during that time but if so,
no one seems to know what or where.

--

FF