Old September 5th 03, 12:32 PM
RossCutlass

As always, a license to learn.

Tx
"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article
ogers.com,
"RossCutlass" wrote:

Whilst preparing an IFR flight to Sudbury (Ontario) I noticed that some
areas of the MSA 25NM altitudes are lower than the procedure turn

altitudes
for the following approaches:
NDB Rwy 22
VOR Rwy 04
VOR Rwy 22
VOR / DME Rwy 12
LOC (BC) Rwy 04
ILS Rwy 22

I've always been taught that as soon as I was cleared to an approach I

could
descend to the MSA which would then lead me into the procedure turn

altitude
if doing a full procedure (not climb to the procedure turn!). The only
exception to this being when vectored for a straight in approach.

The MSA altitudes are for situational awareness and emergency use only.
When you're cleared for the approach, you can descend to the minimum
altitude specified for the route segment that you're established on,
which has nothing to do with the MSA.