Old July 9th 03, 01:50 AM
Blueskies

Does B-2 ring a bell?

--
Dan D.

..
"Ernest Christley" wrote in message
. com...
I'm about halfway through this book. It is quite an eye opener. The
author's explanations seem so insightful, cogent and complete. However,
there's this one blemish. Printed in 1944, the author makes the claim
that the rudder will disappear in just a few years, as it is only there
to cover the designer's mistakes. He also goes into detail about
designing an airplane that won't stall by using mechanical stops to
limit the angle of attack, and one that eliminates the need for rudder
pedals by tying the rudder to the stick so that the turn to bank
automatically produces the correct rudder action.

I began reading this book specifically because it got so much praise in
so many post in this group. Obviously, there are a lot of others here
who believe the author has a lot of flying wisdom to share. Yet, all
the airplanes I've seen have rudders and rudder pedals. Furthermore,
they all allow you to pull the airplane back into a stall.

Why?

If the ideas expressed in the book are so simple and effective, why
aren't they used? Why hasn't the FAA, ever willing to step up and
protect us from ourselves, required Frise ailerons and a rudderless
airplane? Why would Cessna set itself up for liability lawsuits by not
using simple ideas that were expressed 60 years ago? Why would the
entire aeronautical engineering community leave the door open for Brian
Gunn to come up with an idea like 'liability stealth'?

I asked this because all of the author's other explanations seem so
insightful, cogent and complete. I feel I now have a deeper
understanding of several phases of flight. But his complete misfire on
this rudder thing has me stumped.

--
----Because I can----
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/