View Single Post
Old May 16th 18, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Reducing collision hazard at contests

I am not sure of the actual stats, but collisions during contests doesn't strike me as one of the top risks in soaring, although by far it is the most dramatic and one would think also the most open to suggestions how to fix.

My main problem with a points fix or software based fix is that the assumption is that poor/dangerous flying (skill or bad attitude) can be seen a long time before the actual event and therefore by some behavior modification brought about by negative rewards, the problem is significantly reduced.

I am not believing it - I think the collision event happens with very little tell beforehand and for the most part dangerous pilots are already talk to - avoided in thermals - asked to leave the sport and generally persuaded not to fly in our contests where almost everyone knows everybody as friends..

There could be benefit in neg points making World class comps safer, but local/regional/ national races. Good luck changing the EU mind set.

I think the most effective way to help avoid collisions at SSA contests is to discuss close encounters as an agenda item of every pilots meeting, just like weather, safety talk and winners speeches.

That can do that with current files or just ask any one who had the rings screen come up on their Flarm or anyone who felt in danger, to tell the story about what happened in the air. My crew often says" we talk a good safety game on the ground and then become boys in the cockpit" - she is often right.

I have only felt unsafe a hand full of times in contests - there is no format to share to feeling or the experience. I think we need one.

WH