Old August 6th 18, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 8:00:52 AM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 10:49:48 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Have there been stall spins during an aero tow?

Today, I had a very scary aero retrieve. From being towed to fast to-to slow. Anyways the scaries part was when, the tow plane started to climb and to slow. The indicated speed on the glider was 50 knots and decreasing. The glider kept slowing down and sinking under the tow plane into the wake. By this time the glider felt extremely sloopy and it felt like it was ready to drop into stall. Fortunately as I felt the wing wanting to drop, the tug leveld some and got back to a decent speed.

Yes I did radio the pilot askig for 20 indicated more. And I was attempting to release when I hit the wake, but the release on the standard cirrus is far, and my extention had moved from my legs.

I had to release a couple of times last year; put the first down to new tow pilot. Second... hmmm. When the Pawnee did its annual, transponder (actually encoder) failed, and leak in pitot/static system and a subtly bent pitot tube were found to be responsible. The towplane speed looked good, mine, not so much in a Std class glider with the stick on the back stop, still sinking. When in doubt, release and debrief; multiple times, find what the problem is (I had checked my pitot/static system for leaks too). One problem inexperienced tow pilots cause without thinking is pulling up in lift to use the energy - while the glider is still in the sink surrounding...

A simple improvement, if not a fix:
If it feels sloppy on tow, put in another notch of positive flaps.
Jim