Old November 2nd 03, 06:28 PM
Andreas Maurer

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 15:03:18 GMT, "Bill Daniels"
wrote:

There does seem to be a condition experienced by some people who find it
hard to make fast mental adjustments from one set of conditions to another.
One moment they are setting on the ground and 35 seconds later then are high
in the sky at the controls of a glider and struggling to cope. The rush of
a winch launch may create a sensory overload beyond their ability to manage.

Hmmm... I never saw this during a winch launch yet. The work load
during a winch launch is very low compared to an aerotow - the only
thing you really need to watch is airspeed and the "bang" of a rope
break.

The situation you describe (when the pilot gets behind the plane)
happens much more often during very low maneuvering (like low
approaches) - suddenly pilot looses track of airspeed and stalls, for
example (just as the clip I posted shows).

Bye
Andreas