Old February 12th 04, 04:03 PM
Mark

"David E. Powell" wrote in message
s.com...
OK. I have seen the debate over GWB as an F-102 pilot, so I was wondering
about a couple of things.

First, was the F-102 taken out of service in the early 1970s? I have to

ask
because as a kid I remember the Guard around here flying F-106s up to

around
1990 or 1991 or so, and they were closely related to the F-102. Though I
recall them being (much) faster. Mach 1.8 vs. Mach 2.32 IIRC.

HANG (Hawaii) flew 102 until 1977 (last unit as best I can find out). Now
the be TOTALLY correct Deuce was flown much longer than that as drone.

The Six was faster due to the fact that F-106 had engine with more thrust
(J75 vice J57). Not sure, but don't think Deuce had variable inlet either
(open to correction)

Second, if GWB was trained on the F-102, and had asked about other planes,
would he have been assigned to the -106 or was Texas going to a different
fighter? The program wher Guard piolts were flying in Vietnam was

mentioned,
and the USAF turning him down because the USAF was phasing out the -102. I
guess the time needed to retrain the guy on another type would have
prohibited him making the cutoff date? Makes sense, though, and the USAF
forces in the area could have been phasing out the -102 (which was more
suited as a bomber interceptor for CONUS defense than dogfighting) earlier
than counterparts in the US or Europe.

Good source on F-102 ops both CONUS and PACAF...

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/f102_2.html

Shows 111th FIS (TANG) operated F-102 from 1960 - 1975 (as mentioned
transitioned to 101)

Interesting to note that PACAF had Deuce in service up to 70/71 at Okinawa
and Clark

DEP

*There was a massive "Was GENIE a rocket or a missile" debate on another
group, which I won't get into here. I think the verdict was a rocket,

which
it was, guided missile or not.

Not to restart this but.... GENIE was NOT guided (basically a bullet). Good
in that it could not be jammed with ECM or decoyed with flares. (ECM could
impact AI radar in interceptor of course). Genie was one of the more
difficult to employ due to fact pilot had to be VERY precise in "steering
the dot" and get in proper firing solution.

Mark