Old February 15th 20, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Struthers

Default Libelle suitability for beginners

At 17:37 15 February 2020, wrote:
On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 10:59:08 AM UTC-5, Nick

Kennedy wrote:
On W&W for sale recently there have been several Libelles listed,

some
look very nice.
And affordable.
Are these ships suitable for very low time beginners?
I've heard they are "lightly" built.
I've also never heard of them having any structural problems.
Thought's?

I own a 201B that I provide to our club juniors so they have their

own
glass ship.
I require them to have completed their PP certificate and get some

1-34
time, and usually a bit of ASK-21 time before flying it. Most have

50-60
hours and 150 flights or so, with lots of 1-26 time when they get

in.
They do fine with no issues. The girls like the light wings.
It is not as durable and tough as the modern ships but is a good

glider for
relatively low time pilots, provided they are prepared right.
Contest number is JRs.
Good Luck

UH

AS above I bought a IS29D as my first glider (loads of folk said it
was not suitable as it spun easily) and I was a low hours pilot but
had it flown by my CFI who then gave me a comprehensive briefing
and I never had any issues, so as said above get prepared with a
comprehensive brief from someone current on type

happy and safe flying