Old October 19th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Default Cirrus and maneuvering

Recently, Peter Dohm posted:

P.S.: The Tomahawk was a good, although somewhat quirky and
demanding trainer. I have never flown one with only the outboard
stall strips installed (much higher CLmax and more dramatic stall),
so I don't know whether some of the other quirks would have been
better or worse. BTW, some could be exploited to considerable effect.

Our club used to have a Tomahawk, and I logged about 60 hours in it. It
had the outboard stall strips, and it definitely had a more dramatic stall
than the Warriors or Archers I've flown. I think the Tomahawk is an
excellent trainer, but I declined to buy it from the club for the same
reason: you have to constantly fly the plane to keep it airborne.

Back on topic, I completely agree that such maneuvers as canyon turns
should be practiced somewhere other than in do-or-die environments.

Neil