Old July 28th 10, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default carbon fiber wing wheel dolly

On Jul 28, 7:37*am, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

I think that carbon sleeve over EPS or EPP rod would indeed do the
trick for the arm. If you were serious about it, you'd have a high-
pressure female mold, and mold the part by inflating a plastic bladder
inside the sleeve material, but the male molded part would be almost
as stiff and easier and cheaper to make for just one or two.

All far too complicated!

When I built my wing wheel I prototyped the legs with 3/4 inch
schedule 40 pvc pipe. The idea was to get the geometry right then
make to final legs from aluminium square tube. It turned out the sched
40 pvc was perfect for the job. It is dimensionally stable, has just
the right amount of spring, and does no damage anything it bangs or
rubs against. The protype legs have lasted 8 years. They will be
changed this winter for a design that allows height adjustment but
I'll use the same material.

Andy (GY)