Old October 27th 18, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What electronics are worth buying - PLBs

On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 12:17:47 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Thanks, I'll look into it.

As I said, I'm not averse to replacing a battery myself.Â* I was really
disappointed when I went to replace the batteries in the ELT in our
C-180 that the battery pack was made up of D-cells (6 of them) wired in
series but, rather than soldered wires there were welded tabs connecting
the batteries.Â* My soldering iron would not deliver the power required
to make solder stick to the batteries. Maybe silver solder and a
torch...Â* But I have no experience with that and would probably blow
myself up... :-(

On 10/27/2018 9:53 AM, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 9:14:05 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I have renewed our ACR PLB registrations at least twice and there were
no requirements to test them that I know of.Â* I really should look into
the battery situation, however.Â* I'm good with a soldering iron; I only
hope the battery is not welded into the circuit.

On 10/26/2018 4:26 PM, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Friday, October 26, 2018 at 4:59:27 PM UTC-4, John Huthmaker wrote:
At that price I would just crack the case open and find out if I could replace the battery myself. Its highly unlikely they made a battery specifically for this device that couldnt be sourced elsewhere.
They also do testing and re-registration of the unit since if I remember correctly the registration will expire with the battery.
--
Dan, 5J

I assume you are speaking about the required (re)registration of your PLB at NOAA (versus logging in at the manufacturer's site). If so, then it is true that NOAA registration doesn't ask anything about your battery's condition or testing the unit. Their assumption is that the owner is responsible for this.

That being said my ACR PLB has the expiration date of the battery listed on the back and has a method to test the unit without calling in the troops.

And it goes without saying that a dead battery is about as useless as _______!

- John

--
Dan, 5J

That's why back when I still owned an airplane I switched to an ELT that used off-the-shelf alkaline D cells. Officially.

According to some online "how I replaced it myself" articles, the ACR PLBs use battery packs CR123 type non-rechargeable lithium batteries, but with welded-on tabs. (3 or 6 cells, depending on the model.) Those are not easy to find, and not cheap when you find them. I've seen unauthorized but fully-constructed battery packs (no soldering needed) offered for $50. Still a lot cheaper than the factory-authorized battery replacement service.