Old April 14th 04, 01:08 AM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

Peter Duniho wrote:
"Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo" wrote in message

[...]
And many websites seem to de facto 'assume' that when you get there you
already savvy a good deal about things to know about SATA and RAID and
unfortunately they proceed from that premise!

As do the motherboard manufacturers.

Having run into a similar problem a year ago, when I put together my first
SATA-equipped PC, maybe my experience will be helpful. On the motherboard,
which did NOT have any SCSI controller, the BIOS settings still referred to
a SCSI controller. Turns out, anywhere it said "SCSI", it actually means
SATA.

So, you may have to enable your "SCSI" controller somewhere, probably in the
XP setup. When XP asks if you have any additional drivers to install, tell
it you do, and then you should have drivers that came with the motherboard
on a CD you can put in when XP asks you to. Alternatively, there may be
something in your BIOS settings to enable the SATA controller and make it
appear as an IDE controller to Windows (since it is basically just a
different kind of IDE controller).

Same thing for booting...you may have to tell the BIOS to boot from the
"SCSI" controller to get it to boot from the SATA drive.

As the motherboard manufacturers update their BIOS, this stuff should be
easier. For now, we're definitely in that "transition" phase. Getting
things to work will take equal measures of plain old fiddling around and
trying to figure out what shortcuts the hardware manufacturers have taken to
get SATA enabled and working.

Pete

Thank you, Pete. THAT was the key...SCSI as stand-in for SATA. Works!
Now for phase II ... deciding between RAID [which seems to be a
necessity when one gets into the SATA slots...dunno...but otherwise
Windows does not show the drives other than in a RAID array and this
program that popped up called 'VIA RAID' something or other...mind you,
Pete, this is all new to me so I'm sort of dabbling as I go but your
input was gold because the SCSI piece in fact got the machine to at
least recognize the drive! Much appreciated.

Agree about the motherboard thing. I enjoy like many others [not to
mention the economic advantages] of putting together their own machine
and have been tinkering for years although I make no claim whatsoever to
even coming close to a savvy tech but , like the sim hobby, there are
always folks willing to help and assist with their talent and tech savvy
.. Generally it's a fun deal tinkering 'under the hood' with the machine
but then they have to change things via 'progress' and so IDE appears to
be going the way of the 10 cent cup of java as SATA drives are the now
thing with more and more mb's having the slots just as, relating to the
sim hobby, the absence in the newer mb's of the gameport and so USB is
the thing...hence my movement into CH's USB yoke. Sidebar: Comes an
email...hey Doc...what do you mean prop and mixture foward!..I tried
that "on a jet" [sic!] and the thing just turned to the left! Ahhhh! And
here I thought I made it clear that the prop and mix 'forward' ONLY
applies to the prop planes and obviously 'not' the jets! Perhaps
'Calvera' was right! ;-)

Keep in touch, Pete. More than once in the RAP group, I used your VOR
comments on the C-152/172 and some of the mystery was broken! Thank
the stars for real-thing portable Garmin GPS backup!

Doc Tony