Old June 19th 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default A Tale of Two Takeoffs

It's not like I haven't been there, guys. The ballasted occasions are almost all at contests and the tow pilots have generally responded to my agonized pleas for more speed.

The scariest one was actually dry, though, at a local club. It's the closest I've come to losing roll control or having to pull the release. And, yes, I was in near-low-tow position.

I was just wondering if settling even lower might help get me out of the downwash, at least when using a longish rope. I've towed at Hank's Middletown operation, which uses low tow exclusively, and if you're not used to it, it looks very strange (although it works very well). I don't think I've been down that low in my slow-tow adventures.

Chip Bearden
"JB"