Old March 12th 04, 01:24 AM
Jim Carter

"Dave Butler" wrote in message

eddie wrote:
Seems like I never have any good info to offer but always seem to find a
question or 10.

I'm a long time PA28 and C172 / C182 driver and I'm looking for

something
faster with a little longer legs. I've never flown a Mooney but I like

the
style, performance and gph numbers and some of the older ones are in my
price range.

I switched from a PA28-180 (sole owner) to a M20J (partnership) about 3

years ago.

My questions a

1.) Ballpark, what can I expect to spend on maintenance? I know the

gear
and the prop add expense. Overall how does the hourly cost compare with

my
PA28-161? Insurance only changes about 400.00 a year.

Don't have much experience with this as I'm not doing either the

maintenance or
the bookkeeping in the partnership, but my general impression is positive.

2.) Are there certain years/models to stay away from.

No, I think they're all good. There's a big gap between the M20J, and the
"pre-J" models in performance. The J got the benefit of the Roy LoPresti

mods.

I had a Mooney mechanic (that's all he worked on) tell me to avoid the older
wooden tailed birds. I believe he said that parts had to be hand fabricated
as needed, but those are pretty scarce any more.

3.) Do they have any expensive, recurring AD's

4.) I know everything happens a little faster, but, other than that do

they
have any nasty little gotchas. (like the narrow CG range on some

Bonanzas)

The Precise Flight speedbrakes are helpful to get you slowed down to gear
extension speed, at least on the J. http://www.preciseflight.com/sb.html

5.) Are replacement parts more expensive than a Piper or Cessna?

I've looked at Mooney.com and mooneyowners.com but no really useful info
there. Just looking for experienced Mooney drivers to shed a little

honest
light.

http://www.mooneypilots.com (MAPA) might be more helpful. mooneyowners.com

is a
group of disgruntled former members of MAPA.

I offer http://www.employees.org/~dgbutler/201/201.html for some possibly

useful
information. Check the article "how to do a prepurchase inspection on an

M20J,
under "maintenance".

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.